Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Second Day At Pre-School

Magnus' second day at school seemed a little smoother. The CCTV monitor was conveniently offline, so we couldn't observe anything remotely, but the drop off, pick up, and teacher report indicated improvement.

Gong-gong and I dropped him off a little early again.  I warned him about school the day before, and the morning of, and he did not show any distress until we were pretty much at the door of the school.  Even then, he did not cry until I said goodbye at the door of his classroom.  His teacher suggested that I come in to the class with him briefly to help him settle (we were the first to arrive).  Since I was coming into class with him, he calmed down right away.  The first thing I saw was that Magnus has his own cubby hole with his name on it.  In his cubby hole we store a change of clothes, some sunscreen, diapers, wipes, and his backpack.  I took him to the bathroom to change his diaper - there is an adorable miniature sink which he enjoying using to wash his hands.  Back in the classroom I help Magnus play with the paints.  The classroom has a lot of activities, I was very happy with what I saw.  The teacher mentioned that they might do some dress up and play pretend, and I mentioned to her that Magnus doesn't like stuffed animals.

Two other children came into the classroom at this point, and they were throwing spectacular tantrums.  I picked this time to leave and Magnus starting crying to come with me, and I gave him a kiss and a goodbye and reassurance that we were coming back before leaving.

Two hours later, Gong-gong and Po-po went to pick up Magnus.  They said that when they got there, he was happily eating the snack I had packed for him.  The teacher said that after crying that one time, he was fairly settled for the rest of the class.  She also said that she asked him what his grandfather's name was, and he didn't answer her.  (I had introduced my dad to her as gong-gong and I told her it was the chinese way to say grandpa, but as Magnus was crying at the time, she probably misheard and thought that was his name).


No comments:

Post a Comment