Sunday, March 4, 2012

Swanee River

Magnus, poor sleeper that he is, has been serenaded with many many songs from myself, my mother, and my mother-in-law during his lifetime.  My mother likes to joke that we could have a concert with all the songs we've sung for him.

Now that he is able to verbally express what he likes and dislikes, there are a few songs that I sing that he really likes when trying to fall asleep, and his top requests have changed over time.

For quite a while, he really liked listening to "Go Tell It On the Mountain" and "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean".  Then it switched to "I've Been Working On The Railroad".  "Blue Moon" was a big favourite for quite awhile, then he switched to "Moon River", and then back to "Blue Moon".    Here in Dubai, his new favourite is "Swanee River", and the difference this time is that he actually likes singing it with me.  He doesn't like singing at the same time, no, he likes it when we take turns.  (The taking-turns approach started for fun with "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "The Farmer in the Dell" in my early attempts to get him to sing).

Here's how it works (Note: in our version I compress the verse and change a few words from the original):

  • Gina: Waaaay, down...
  • Magnus: upon the Swanee River
  • Gina: Faaaaar...
  • Magnns: far away <and gonggong's car is far away too!>
  • Gina: Theeeeeere's, where...
  • Magnus: my heart is yearning ever
  • Gina: There's where the..
  • Magnus: old folks stay
  • Gina: Allllll the...
  • Magnus: world is sad and dreary everywhere I go
  • Gina: Ohhhhhh, lordy...
  • Magnus: how my heart grows weary
  • Gina: Far from the...
  • Magnus: old folks at home



I really wish I could record it for you, because his lisp is really cute and he's still struggling to carry the tune.  I love it!  My favourite part is when he says "dreary".. it sounds like "dweewee".  My second favourite is the fact that he always has to inform me that my dad's car is also very far away.



No comments:

Post a Comment