Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Case of the Missing Nipple Cream

The day Maya turned 1 week old, my bottle of nipple cream disappeared.

Nipple cream, or medical grade lanolin, is a lotion for nipples sore from breastfeeding.   One of the lessons I learned from breastfeeding Magnus was that if I actually wait until my nipples get sore to start using the nipple cream, it's already too late!!!  Thus, I have been making extensive use of my nipple cream since before Day 1.  I have not been able to avoid sore nipples but it has not been as painful the second time around and there is a lot less blood.

After we brought Maya home the only place I would nurse her was my bedroom, and the nipple cream naturally would never leave the room.  Occasionally I would lose it under a pillow or some blankets, but it would always turn up.  The large, purple nipple cream bottle, a present from Clementine for my first pregnancy, quickly became one of Magnus' favorite objects.  When the bottle went missing that morning, Magnus became my number 1 suspect.

We turned the room upside down.  All drawers and cupboards were inspected.  The side tables, the shoe drawer, even all of Maya's drawers.  We checked the laundry baskets.   We checked the garbage cans.  We checked Maya's crib and underneath my bed.  All the bathroom nooks and crannies were inspected.  I searched, my mother searched, the housekeeper searched, and Kendrick searched.  Finally, we gave up, and I started calling some nearby stores to see if they had any more nipple cream in stock.

Just when I thought I was completely out of luck, our housekeeper found the bottle.  She was changing our sheets and found it tucked away inside the bed frame.  Although I carefully interrogated Magnus afterwards, he showed no knowledge of this hiding place, and no apparent intent for nipple cream sabotage.  A few days later though, I was easily able to get him on video as follows:


Case closed!


No comments:

Post a Comment