Friday, March 1, 2013

School Assessment 2

Hooray, Magnus was accepted at another school!!!  This school is our second choice, but a very good second choice, so we are quite happy.

I was actually very surprised about this acceptance because I was convinced the assessment did not go well.

I was not allowed to observe the assessment; all the children were corralled into a classroom to listen to a story, play with the toys, and to be observed interacting with other children.

I was left to try to piece together a picture of the assessment the best I could.  I quizzed Magnus after the assessment.  He insisted there was no story.  He said he did nothing, and that nobody talked to him.  He said he didn't like the school and he was cranky because it was late in the afternoon.  OK - bad picture.

Then, the next day when I went to pick up Magnus, I saw pictures of a wonderful boat the teacher had made in the playground.  In all the pictures, every single child was inside the boat, playing, laughing, and listening to the teacher.  Every child, that is, except for Magnus!!  I was so convinced of his anti-social ways that I thought for certain he would have done the same sort of thing at the assessment.

Now that we know he has been accepted, maybe I was wrong.  Or better yet, I was right and they simply understood that not wanting to participate can be a very normal thing for a 3 year old.  

2 comments:

  1. So the boat was on the playground,that is above ground not on water,how about he thought this is not a good idea,as boat are suppose to be on water,just my way of analyzing,and hopefully same as what my grandson was thinking at that moment,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call him antisocial. Rather that he is a creative and independent thinker in many ways. He can be VERY social but he does not strive to be like others. I am soooo proud of my little nephew !

    ReplyDelete