Friday, March 1, 2013

Maya's Adventure

Depending on the angle and Maya's mood, she reminds me of one of her aunts; usually one of the two eldest aunts.  Today she did something that made me think of her youngest aunt.  

It was an unremarkable weekend evening.  As usual, I took the two kids up to Magnus' room to wash up for bed, and as usual, Kendrick was available to spirit Maya away so that I could give Magnus a bedtime story and tuck him in.  And so that I could keep him company until he fell asleep (sigh.)

In the darkness, I could hear Magnus tossing and turning, and I could Maya being entertained with a video downstairs.  After awhile, she tired of her show, and started complaining.  Her father let her leave the video and climb the stairs (we often follow her up the stairs to give her a little workout).  She climbed, complained, and climbed again.  At the top, her dad was not able to entertain her very long in front of the mirror as he usually does, and I heard her come closer and closer to Magnus' bedroom, all the while complaining.  In my mind, I tried to send Kendrick a telepathic message: "Don't let her in yet, just a few more minutes and Magnus will be fast asleep!!"

To no avail: I saw the bedroom door slowly swing open.  My little baby girl peeked inside and when she saw me coming to get her, she started to bawl.  I picked her up and opened the door all the way to talk to her daddy... who was nowhere to be seen.  In an instant, with the strains of the abandoned video in the background, I realized that she had crawled up the stairs all by herself.   She had passed the open doors of the office, the master bedroom, and the visitor room, and pushed her way into darkness - the last place she remembered seeing her mother and brother.

I cuddled her, nursed her, and watched Magnus toss about some more until I heard Kendrick (who was exhausted from a hard week and a full day of physical activity) wake up downstairs.  I called to him and he rushed up to give his little girl some apologetic hugs and kisses.  By the time that was all done, Magnus was finally asleep.  So we took our bright eyed daughter downstairs and spoiled her with attention and affection, until at last it was time for her to sleep too. 

Goodnight everybody, may you all find what you are looking for even in the face of a little adversity.


2 comments:

  1. Thank God All went well!!!
    This is really scary,maybe Kendrick,get the playpen and let Maya in there whenever necessary,do not take chances!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all these years, it still breaks my heart to remember baby Auntie Tristany's face just before she started bawling !!

    ReplyDelete