Thursday, May 24, 2012

That Smells Sesame Street!

In the past few weeks, Magnus' has made all sorts of improvements in counting and alphabet recognition (I don't really want to call it spelling yet).  Going to pre-school may have helped somewhat, but I actually doubt it.  I would rather attribute it to his general interest in the subject matter, lots of time reading and writing with mommy, and sesame street videos.

Ahhhh, sesame street!  A fellow Dubai mum suggested it to me a couple of weeks ago as a source of entertainment for Magnus.  Just search for Sesame Street Songs on youtube, she suggested, and you'll find so many celebrity songs in there that are adapted for kids, for example Feist's 1-2-3-4.

Since then Magnus and I have explored a lots of excellent videos, both old and new.  We both prefer the animation clips.  Sesame street monsters never really appealed to me that much.  I distinctly remember wondering as a child why people would hug sesame street monsters and say that they loved them.  Magnus also has shown some aversion to the muppets, particularly Grover.

Magnus' favorite numbers are 10, 20, and 12 (in that order).  His favorite letter is O.  His favorite words to spell are: "Maya", "Bingo", "Magnus", "Go", and "Stop".  He'll spell them with me and then declare, "That smells <word>!"  His favorite Sesame street videos are:

The old pinball:


The 4 bubbles:

The 20 song:


and 10 tiny turtles (strange to say, as he hates eating vegetables!):

Why didn't I turn to Sesame street earlier?  I guess I didn't realize how many animated clips they had posted.

Finally, if anyone is interested, my favorite video is the classic ladybug picnic:

My next favorite is this sweet video, because the chubby chicks remind me of Maya!


2 comments:

  1. A lot of our favourites are monster/celebrity combos.

    But this one has been my favourite since I first saw it months ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyVzjoj96vs

    I've been meaning to get Dion to help me capture it for my iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always liked the ladybug picnic!! Now that you mentioned it -- the chicks Do look like Maya ;-)
    I learned all my English and some american culture --> eg - gum chewing, from Sesame Street when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete