Friday, May 25, 2012

O Say Can You Say Potty?

I've started potty training Magnus for the second time, this time with the help of Po po.  We had talked about it for some time, but I was more busy/sick/tired when Maya was younger and so I postponed it.  Then came the start of Pre-school which was quite an emotional roller coaster for Magnus.  Most postponement.  I also took my sweet time getting a second potty - which I felt was critical because I did not want to run Magnus up and down the stairs every time there was a potty scare.  Lastly, Magnus was spending a lot of time with Gong gong, who was a little clueless when it came to identifying impending bowel movements.

Finally, the stars aligned.  Gong gong left for Toronto, Po po stayed in Dubai to help, and the second household potty was purchased (thanks Po po):
(A side note: this is actually potty #6 if you also count the 2 potties in Toronto, and the two potties in Vancouver!)

The kickoff event occurred on Mother's Day, when I noticed Magnus doing his pooping stance and making a pooping face.  I went to change his diaper and discovered that it was empty.  That's when I sat him down on his potty.  A few minutes later, he pooped.  To emphasize how important this event was, Po po gave him some dried mango as a reward.  We've been using this bribe mechanism ever since.

Now, 12 days later, we have partial success.  Magnus walks around all day in briefs, only wearing diapers for bedtime, going in the car, and going to school.  Most of the time he goes in his potty.  The biggest problem so far is that he won't tell us when he needs to go.  We just keep track and make him sit periodically.  This has led to a few spectacular accidents (urine stained footprints all over the living room, a pool of pee on the balconey, etc).

My distaste for cleaning the poop has also led to the recent purchase of this potty:
But all that cleaning is worth it to get Magnus off his diapers!

My mom tells me that it is normal for the kid to take some time to learn how to tell you it's time to go.  Magnus can certainly vocalize the entire process.  He knows he is supposed to tell us when it's time to go to the potty.  However, he is as always resistant to change, and my mom has predicted that what usually takes 2 weeks for normal kids will take 4-6 weeks for Magnus to master.  That's unfortunately as Po po is leaving in a few days.  Oh well, we will keep on pushing the potty!

(As I blogged this, Magnus had a poop in his potty.  I called it, not him <sigh>.)

May 26
After I wrote the above entry, I took Magnus to the mall to meet with a friend.  He had a yogurt, ran around the mall a bit, and then peed in his pants at Starbucks.  There he was, standing in a big puddle of pee.  I took him to the bathroom (he walked like he had been charley-horsed) and I took off his wet clothes and slapped a diaper on him but no pants (I had none).  This episode seems to have been the turning of the tide (pun not intended).  Since then, he's requested the potty three times accurately, including a poop this morning.  Cross your fingers for Magnut!!

1 comment:

  1. I guess he is ashamed to tell people that he wants to poop,as he thought that this is a private thing!one more thing ,maybe we keeps on saying ,yakee or whatever ,and this makes him shy!!!Even for grownup ,we do not want people to know we are going for #2,maybe,if he knows how to say that he just wants to go bathroom,he will be more comfortable to say it?JUST A THought!

    ReplyDelete