Friday, December 2, 2011

Potty Training Begins

I didn't plan on potty training Magnus in Canada, but while we were in London something seemed to click.  Mina and I were talking about potty training Lucas and she was giving me some tips for Magnus.  The first tip was to get a potty book.  She took out the book she used with Lina and encouraged me to let Magnus have a read.  Magnus is funny about books - he either hates the book or he loves it.  Sometimes I can convince him to love a book after several attempts, but he usually judges a book by its cover and/or first read.

I read "Too Big For Diapers" with him, and to my amazement he was hooked on every word, every page, and every picture. He made me read it to him three or four times before I got tired of reading and got him to do something else!


Then next day, I quizzed Magnus about the potty story, and he gave me a thoughtful look which indicated to me understanding.  During his nap, I went to the store to look at some potties.  The potty below was reasonably priced and nicely designed, so I made the decision to buy the potty and get started right away.


That night, before going to sleep, I told Magnus the potty story again (but without the book of course) and he was hanging on every word just as before.  After the story, I told him that I was going to get him a potty.   I nearly sabotaged my own plan with my next question:
Gina: What colour would you like, Magnus?  
Magnus: Green!
Gina: I'm sorry Magnus, there are no more green potties.  I will get you a blue potty.  
Magnus: No more green!  Blue Potty!
Gina: Right!  Tomorrow when you wake up, there will be a blue potty right here next to popo's bed.  Remember, when you want to pee… etc

After Magnus fell asleep, I assembled the potty and stationed it as promised in his room.  The next morning, it was not too difficult to convince a sleepy Magnus to have a seat.  I'm happy to report success on two occasions today (for a #1 and a #2), and hopefully we'll continue to have growing success for the rest of the week!

I have two potty books ordered and on the way - I actually did pick up a potty book at the store with the potty (featuring Elmo) but Magnus didn't like it at all.  I hope I can return it!


1 comment:

  1. Good luck! We have Too Big For Diapers too. I have an Elmo one, too, among others. I actually kinda like Where's the Poop? Alona Frankel has a good one that comes with an audio book.

    If it helps, I think potty training is one of those things that seem like a big deal at the time, but soon enough, you barely remember it. It's also helpful just to keep an open mind. Adam had a false start. So we quit for a few months and then he went cold turkey on the diapers with nary an accident (with me. Compared to some, I was a little more in tune to when he needed to go and a little more insistent that he stop playing to take care of business.) Really, he might have had maybe three accidents in his first week then never again.

    Plus, times have changed and people don't judge your parenting (or your baby!) on how soon your baby slept through the night or toilet trained. I understand that there used to be a lot of peer pressure for that. It's more important that you and Magnus feel happy, whatever the potty situation.

    ReplyDelete